Codes diagnosis and procedures for outpatient physician charges at the Clinic level including Evaluation and Management levels, in office procedures, and other clinic/outpatient coding as assigned. Reviews the medical records thoroughly to facilitate the collection of patient care information. Codes diagnosis and CPT for office and surgical services for neurosurgery providers.
• Maintains CPC certification and coding knowledge to the most current standards
• Codes diagnosis, procedures and evaluation and management levels on outpatient, and clinical encounters using computer coding system and/or coding books provided and is responsible for the accuracy of the codes used
• Maintains a working knowledge of the computer applications to full-fill job requirements.
• Pursues perceived discrepancies with medical staff to achieve optimal reimbursement.
• Evaluates medical record and charge ticket to determine level and type of service (CPT).
• Identifies coding diagnosis based on a thorough review of the medical record
• Develops systems/programs to attain personal goals and participates in educational activities to ensure further professional growth.
• Corrects coding errors and uses documented sources, i.e. diagnosis, CPT code, modifiers, location code, etc., returned through denials system.
• Checks the appropriateness and specificity of diagnoses and procedures recorded by physicians.
• Attends all required training and educational programs
• Ensures positive provider/ operations/customer relations interactions
• Responds promptly to provider/operations/customer needs
• Responds to requests for service and assistance
• Meets commitments
• Participates in provider education sessions as needed.
• Demonstrates professional conduct, positive teammate interaction and a positive attitude.
Minimum Education, Training, and Experience Required:
• Coding certification of either CPC or CCS-P required;
• 2+ year experience in Professional Surgical coding experience
3+ years’ Specialty/Surgical Coding
Preferred Ortho Spine or Neurosurgery