The Certified Coder at Desert Orthopedics
provides specialty healthcare coding to our Orthopedic Clinic.
perform additional duties of similar complexity within Desert Orthopedics as
required or assigned)
- Read and abstract physician office notes and procedure notes to
apply correct ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS and modifier coding assignment.
- Demonstrates less than 5% error rate with ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS and
modifier coding assignment, while maintaining the expected volume of
- Reviews specific charges prior to claim submission to ensure coding
- Coding of spine injection and procedures performed by Physical
Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialists such as RFA, epidural injections,
facet injections, arthrogram injections, etc.
- Future coding of surgical procedures performed by orthopedists such
as arthroscopic surgeries, total joint replacements, fracture repairs,
spine surgeries, etc. (training will be provided)
- Radiology coding for MRI and some X-Ray
- Assist clinic billing staff with coding related questions
coding audits of providers and provide education.
- Manages work files to resolve coding edits by
researching and using the most up-to-date tools available in order to make
the appropriate and compliant corrections for reimbursement
- Ensures all external regulations affecting the coding
process are implemented in the work course to assure compliance and
consistency of coding and reduce the risk of external audits
- Audit Provider Coding trends and update Providers
quarterly or as needed.
Other duties as assigned by Supervisor or Manager
High school diploma or GED required.
Associate Degree in Health Record Technology or
equivalent work experience in related field may be substituted for education.
Minimum of 10 years of verifiable
orthopedic coding experience
Working knowledge of CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM,
Prospective Payment Systems, Correct Coding Initiative, Third Party Liability
Ability to read/understand complex
surgical notes and medical records
Experience coding and/or auditing all
insurance carriers, i.e., worker’s compensation, private, commercial, state and
knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
regular and predictable attendance
cooperatively with other employees to resolve issues and maintains positive
confidentiality of all Protected Health Information (PHI)
· CPC or CCS-P certification required within first
90 days of employment from AAPC or AHIMA .
A valid Registered Health Information Technician
(RHIT) certification preferred.
Continually (75% or more):
Use of clear and audible speaking voice and the
ability to hear normal speech level.
Sitting, standing, walking, lifting 1-10
pounds, keyboard operation.
Bending, climbing stairs, reaching overhead,
carrying/pushing or pulling 1-10 pounds, grasping/squeezing.
Stooping/kneeling/crouching, lifting, carrying,
pushing or pulling 11-15 pounds, operation of a motor vehicle.
lifting/carrying/pushing or pulling 25-50 pounds, ability to hear whispered
Exposure to Elemental Factors
Never (0%): Heat, cold, wet/slippery area, noise, dust, vibration, chemical
solution, uneven surface.
Blood-Borne Pathogen (BBP) Exposure Category:
No Risk for Exposure to BBP