Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have certification, but not job in field

Default have certification, but not job in field

Promo: Code Books
    Hello fellow coders,
    I have passed the certification exam (cpc), but it has been over a year and i still have not found a job in the medical coding field. I have 2 years in the medical office field, but my last employer in that field would not teach me coding in fear of losing their job. I just wanted the experience, not the person's job. So what am I to do with no experience, but a certification. I am planning on taking the ccs-p exam, just to add letters to my name and hope someone will take me seriously, what do you all think, would that be a great idea. I just don't want all of my hard work to go to waste, and I am not a quitter.
    NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

marty3073@yahoo.com

I would suggest giving Project Xtern a try. I think there's a link for that on the AAPC's website. In my personal opinion, regardless of what letters you have behind your name, companies still put a lot of weight on what experience you've actually had when reviewing your resume, so it's important to make sure that you get that coding experience under your belt.
    K-CPC

Talking

I was in a similar situation myself. I was certified, but had no real coding experience. I was able to get hired in my current position by getting involved in my local chapter. I was able to network, and people got to know me, so they were willing to give me an opportunity. So far, it has worked out really well.

Good Luck!!
    Amy Crego, CPC, CPC-P
    Treasurer, Columbus AAPC

One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. ~ Helen Keller

Wink

I am in the same situation, passed my exam in 2006 and still cant find a coding job, they all need someone with experience. But depending on what you really want to do (just to get your foot in the door) I would recommend that you find something in the healthcare field eg. hospitals, physican's office that does coding and u might just have a chance, or sign up with as many healthcare agencies where emloyers are looking for coders or medical workers... Good Luck:

Hi,
    If it was me...I would hold off on investing any more money/time into additional credentials until I found a job in the field that I was preparing for. Of course, that's just my "2 cents" worth. The current certification you have already sets you apart from the competition so that for now should be enough, I think.
    Have you tried working with an Employment Agency? There are often dr's offices who are needing extra help and or "fill in's" for others during maternity leaves and so forth. This might be a good way to get your foot in the door and be able to add some experience to your resume.
    Just a thought...
    I wish you the best of luck!
    Sylvia Thompson, CPC
    Billing Supervisor
    San Diego, CA

Unhappy Same problem for me

I have the same issues it seems as others are having. I passed my CPC-H exam in October and I can't even get into the coding department of the hospital I currently work for. I am going to try project Xtern as I don't know what else to do. Hopefully, it won't take too long.

Talking I was just there!!

Listen up! I literally was just in your shoes! The main thing is never to loose site on getting your coding job. It took me nine months to find my first coding job.

I use to call up places looking to talk directly to the coding supervisors, and offered to do a coding test for them. My first and second job, were so impressed with my coding skills, they brought me on board.

Try networking with both the AHIMA and AAPC chapter meetings. This will help make connections, and give more friendly resources.

Look at all possible adds for employment. This could be newspapers, internet, etc. I also found Advance magazine and the Journal of AHIMA to have job opportunities. Best of all, Advance magazine is for free.

Try getting positions close to your field. You can do ER registration or work as a medical biller. A lot of people promote from with the organization.

Lastly, dress for success and tell your employer your ambitions. Bring a totally professional manner to the table. Study your conventions, coding rules, etc. This will prepare you for their screening exams.

When you get your job, take it no matter the pay or distance. Both of my jobs are from my home. My current job is actually 90 minutes with rush hour. The thing is, you need your experience, and it will take sacrifices.

Again never give up! Sometimes, it will take the 100th interview or the 1000th resume to get some response!

If you want more tips, or to know what I went through....you can e-mail me at Kevinph84@msn.com

Good luck and Best wishes

Kevin P. Honig, CPC-A

Cool Ouch!

Sorry about the bad typing!!!

Next time I'll preview my posts!! Jeez!!

How does one assess the "Advance" magazine? Creme
    Last edited by Creme; 12-17-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Arrow Advance Info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast