AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding Mass Rt shoulder

Default Coding Mass Rt shoulder

AAPC: Back to School
    Please help with coding: Excision of 3cm mass right shoulder Path: Epidermal Cyst, Skin lesion right shoulder; benign (My Doc is telling me to code mass rather than leison I do not understand Please help! I would code this as follows (Unless he tells me there is a layered closure than I would add that) 11403 Is this right?
    Thanks for any help
    Deb - CPC-A

can you post the op report for this

Its important to read the op note to see how deep the surgeon went before applying the benign lesion/mass codes.

If the incision is superficial then you would use codes from the integ section. If its sub-q or deep you would need to look at 23075/23076 for the shoulder. For the back 21930 does not even state a depth so you could use that. "Almost" every musculoskeletal area of the CPT book has codes for sub-q and deep excisions.

Hope this helps.

Given your path results of epidermal cyst of skin, I think you're right - 11403.
    C.Martin CPC-GENSG

Similar Threads

1. Flank mass vs Abdominal wall mass
    By codedog in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM
  2. Mass Removal Help coding
    By Thumper72 in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
  3. Shoulder mass
    By jmkitchen in forum Orthopaedics