It sounds from your description that this is NOT a consult.
If the requesting physician is asking your surgeon to perform the procedure, then the evaluation that is done prior to the procedure is part of the procedure.
If the requesting physician is asking your surgeon for advice on how best to provide access for dialysis, and the surgeon evaluates the patient and determines that a catheter is the optimal treatment, then the eval might be coded as a consult.
But like, I said at the top - it sounds like the "decision for surgery" was made by the requesting physician, and your surgeon is limited to coding the procedure.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join