Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Local Chapter Ideas

Medical Coding Books
    Hi Michelle, I just also told them about the coding concentration. I see that you are now the president for the DC Chapter how is that going, I am the president for the local Chapter in Wilmington starting in Jan. How are things going for you still doing Cardiology coding. My daughter had twin boys Nov 3rd

I did a presentation on Medical Terminology but made it interactive. I had our members break in to 3 groups of Pre-fixes, Combining Forms, and Suffixes. They then had to communicate with the other groups to make one complete word and define that word. The words didn't have to make sense but they did have to be able to define there word somehow. This got the members used to working with their resources, communicating with others, thinking outside of the box, and have a great time doing so. One team was able to make a real word found in Steadman's.

3. Talking dwcpc
    We had our local chapter meeting last night and had crossword puzzles, word searches and and a definition quiz. They really make you think. It helps you brush up on things you don't use daily.

Hi Rhonda,

One of the local Jacksonville Florida chapters enjoyed my Coding Jeopardy so much that they ask me to do it every year. The key is to make fun categories and clues such as "To 'V' or not to 'V'" - which was a category where folks had to find the appropriate V diagnosis code based on funny scenarios like Sponge Bob Squarepants was playing in the jellyfish fields when he was stung. Chapter officers were able to obtain some donated items to give away as prizes to the top 3 competitors. The key is to make it fun and not mundane.

-Maryann Palmeter

5. Default Coding Games
    [QUOTE=cedwards;2873]I have used the Coding Jeopardy and Who wants to be a CPC (Millionare). You can change the topics and works great after a presentation.

Lynn

6. Default Coding Games
    I have used the Coding Jeopardy & Who wants to be a Coder(Millionare) They have worked great as you can change the topics and play at different meetings or classes. This never gets dull, my students love this.

If you need them let me know and I will e-mail them to you. These are in Powerpoint LRawlings@sblhs.org

Lynn

Default Games chapters play
    Our all time favorite is a coding bingo game our chapter officers came up with. CODER, each letter it's own category, first bingo/coder then blackout. We play this every year at our end of year party, coders and non coders a like have reallly enjoyed this game.

We have a new idea that we are trying this year - Hopefully it works!! We are going to have a panel of coders who work in different areas (compliance, audting, facility, etc) tell how they use coding in what they do, then we are going to facilitate a discussion. The idea is to help people decide where they want to go with their coding career and what they need to do to get there.
    Amy Crego, CPC, CPC-P, CPMA, CRC
    Vice President, Columbus, OH AAPC

One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. ~ Helen Keller

This is my first time as an officer, but my plan is to have both a coding game and a networking game at each meeting. Reading what others have already done gives me a lot of great ideas! I've got a few already in mind, it's just a matter of getting them from my head to paper. There are two I'm excited about: the first is matching celebrities to their diseases and the second is playing a line from a song and having the members decide what a possible diagnosis could be, and code it. My family has been great about giving me leads for both of these! If these turn out, I'll be glad to share!

Quote Originally Posted by acrego View Post
    We have a new idea that we are trying this year - Hopefully it works!! We are going to have a panel of coders who work in different areas (compliance, audting, facility, etc) tell how they use coding in what they do, then we are going to facilitate a discussion. The idea is to help people decide where they want to go with their coding career and what they need to do to get there.
    I really like your idea, I think I'll bring it up at our next chapter meeting, I've been thinking about getting out of Internal Medicine but am a little nervous because this is all I have ever done... It would help to know what others days are like in their speciality.

thanks for the idea.

Roxanne Thames, CPC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast