Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Local Chapter Ideas

Smile Coding Jeopardy
    Medical Coding Books
    Our chapter "made up" a coding jeopardy game. We divided the room into 2 teams. Each member got a chance to play. It was great fun, lots of group participation and everyone enjoyed it. Another time we did a coding "spelling bee". We had 2 contestants at a time, called out the medical term and had them write it on the blackboard, then hit the buzzer when done. It was a lot of fun. Of course we had some small prizes for the winners. Our chapter members ask for repeats of these games.

Rhonda, Is reading and understanding financial aging reports ever a topic of discussion at chapter meetings? I could use some help in the area.

Thanks,
    Linda

I do a coding quiz before each meeting. I do a scenario (a short story) that has 4 codes usually 2 ICD-9 and 2 CPT or HCPCS. Each correct code that gets said aloud first wins a small prize. Usually a 5 dollar gift card to a coffe, or icecream shop. Everyone has fun and it gets you used to using your books.

Linda,

That is a great idea for a meeting and is also part of one of the workshops the AAPC is putting on, "Coding and Billing in Best Run Practices".

If your chapter is looking for speakers let me know and I can give you a list of names of speakers that could come to your chapter and do a seminar on your own.
    Rhonda Buckholtz, CPC, CPC-I, CGSC, COBGC, CEPDC, CENTC
    Vice President, ICD-10
    AAPC
    800-626-2633 ext 183
    814-673-7177
    Fax: 814-217-0447
    rhonda.buckholtz@aapc.com

5. Default
    our chapter plays coding jeopardy and coding bingo. it is great to play especially during the time of year when your code books have changed. You can stump those individuals who have memorized codes that were initially only 4 digits now you need a 5th or the code has been deleted or updated.

6. Default Chapter suggestions
    What we have done is help a chapter member to go to our Va. State Coding Conference by doing a drawning every April. This way it helps out our member and increase her coding knowledge by going too. We have bought doctors of different speciality about 3 at a time and we would have 3 group divided. The members would get to ask the doctors questions regarding clinic part of their speciality and the doctors would ask the coders questions as well. It was alot of fun as well as a real learning experience. If you can bring the clinical side of coding to coders and the coding side to the doctors what a great combination.

We have door prize drawing that either we get from our wonderful vendors, such as Ingenix, BC advantage, Campus Bookstore, other products too, and from our officers too.

If we hear or know of a workshop/seminar that is coming up, we keep our members notifity of these as well. Even if there are other jobs in the area we let them know just in case they may have a friend that is interested in the jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hougasian View Post
    What we have done is help a chapter member to go to our Va. State Coding Conference by doing a drawning every April. This way it helps out our member and increase her coding knowledge by going too. We have bought doctors of different speciality about 3 at a time and we would have 3 group divided. The members would get to ask the doctors questions regarding clinic part of their speciality and the doctors would ask the coders questions as well. It was alot of fun as well as a real learning experience. If you can bring the clinical side of coding to coders and the coding side to the doctors what a great combination.

We have door prize drawing that either we get from our wonderful vendors, such as Ingenix, BC advantage, Campus Bookstore, other products too, and from our officers too.

If we hear or know of a workshop/seminar that is coming up, we keep our members notifity of these as well. Even if there are other jobs in the area we let them know just in case they may have a friend that is interested in the jobs.

Thats a really good idea to have the doc's come into the meetings to give their "clinical side". I have always thought that would be a good idea, the doc's I work with are more than willing to help me in that way. If I ever have a question about one of their hospital notes I will always ask them what certain things mean and they have always been more than willing to explain the "clinical side" to me.

I may consider this for one of our chapter meetings...

Thanks,

Roxanne Thames, CPC

Everyone has so many great ideas!! Let's keep them coming!
    Rhonda Buckholtz, CPC, CPC-I, CGSC, COBGC, CEPDC, CENTC
    Vice President, ICD-10
    AAPC
    800-626-2633 ext 183
    814-673-7177
    Fax: 814-217-0447
    rhonda.buckholtz@aapc.com

9. Default
    Last month we had an ICD-9 challenge based on the 2008 guidelines. It is amazing that once we sit down and really read the guidelines how much we learn all over again. So many times we as new coders are thrown into jobs with maybe a 2 days training session. If we read the guidelines in ICD-9 each October it amazing how much more we learn.

Local Chapter meeting can be fun we just have to create ways.

giggles,

Diana Yates, CPC CPC-I

Default Coding Jenga
    We just played Jenga, coding style, at our chapter meeting. I wrote one number on each Jenga tile, and I had three WILD tiles that could be used for any number. Members were divided into teams, each person on each team had to draw a tile, that way no one person was drawing for their team. Whatever team was able to make a valid CPT code first was the winners. Of course, if the tiles feel everyone had to start over. I did have two Jenga sets so both were going at the same time. You can play this over and over as it does not take a long time to reset the tiles. It could also work for ICD-9 coding. Another way to make it a little more challenging is to require that the first tile drawn cannot be moved around in your code. All others drawn can change positions to get to a valid CPT code.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast