Medicare won't cover 99401-99404. These are considered routine and - obviously - preventive.
The wording in CPT changed in this section of codes for 2008.
2007's notes said this:
"These codes are not to be used to report counseling and risk factor reduction interventions provided to patients with symptoms or established illness. For counseling individual patients with symptoms or established illness, use the appropriate office, hospital or consultation or other E/M codes."
In 2008, we see this:
"These codes are used to report services provided face-to-face by a physician or other qualified health care professional for the purpose of promoting health and preventing illness or injury. They are distinct from evaluation and management (E/M) services that may be reported separately when performed.
SO, it used to be that you could not use these codes in addition to an E/M, but now it looks like you can. However, the 25 modifier would go on the office visit, NOT on 99401.
You CANNOT code preventive counseling on the same day as a comprehensive preventive medicine service (Routine Physical 99381-99397)). It's already included.
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join