AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Hospital H&P and consult documentation

Aurora, IL

Default Hospital H&P and consult documentation

AAPC: Back to School
    I work for 3 general surgeons. One of my docs does not like to write in pt's charts, he dictates everything. That said, my dilema is this: He will dictate a hospital H & P for a surgery he is going to do in 3 weeks to a month and in the pt's chart at our office he just writes, "See Hospital H&P." Then he wants to charge a consult. I know that this is incorrect documentation but am having a VERY hard time explaining to him that he has to dictate a letter to the requesting physician and that the H&P must have the same date on it as the consult charges we submit. I have looked on the American College of Surgeons website for help and even called them but they just confused me even more than I already am. Can someone please help me with this? I desperately need to find something to give this doctor IN WRITING that says he cannot use the H&P for his consult dictation. HELP!
    Chrissy, CPC

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

Our local CMS carrier (NHIC) has a nicely written E&M documentation guidelines manual that spells out these issues very nicely. Check with your carrier, it's likely that they have the same.
    Pam Brooks, PCS, CPC

Milwaukee WI

Default What does the H&P actually say?

What does the H&P actually say? Did he dictate that he is seeing the patient in consultation for x problem at request of PMD? Did he use the date of service of the office consult visit? (e.g. date of service 10-22-08 / date of admission 11-08-08) Did he request a copy sent to the requesting physician? (Our hospital's dictation system allows this to happen.) If a copy isn't being sent automatically can your doc at least dictate a short - "Dear requesting doc ... thanks for consult ... surgery is scheduled, please see attached dictation for details." (and then attach the dictated note)

I understand your frustration. I also understand that the physician doesn't want to have to dictate all the information a second time. That being said, however, I'm willing to bet that the hospital still requires him to review and update the 3-week-old H&P (our hospital wants an H&P completed no earlier than 48 hours prior to admission).

If you don't have access to the hospital record to get a print-out of the dictation ... do what you have to to get that access! You absolutely have to have that information in order to make a final determination of what can be billed.

Good luck

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M
    Last edited by FTessaBartels; 11-26-2008 at 03:17 PM.