AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discharge Code for day of death?

Default Susan CPC

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone have an answer for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by mb12345 View Post
    What if the Resident does the Pronouncement and the Attnding is on campus but bot having face to face contact, does this mean the Death Pronouncement cannot be billed at all?
    I'm interested in this one too. I'm thinking that a discharge service cannot be billed, because "Only the physician who personally performs the pronouncement of death shall bill for the face-to-face hospital discharge day management service" (NHIC E/M Services Billing Guide, http://www.medicarenhic.com/ne_prov/publications.shtml) and inpatient services cannot be billed incident-to. It seems the only thing that might be billable is a subsequent care service if the attending documented seeing the patient and performing the service while the patient was still alive that day.
    Last edited by eandmcoder; 09-11-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Default cpt code for mortuary service

is there any cpt code for mortuary service?

Default Question/confused on CC on same day as Death Discharge

I code Hospitalists/Intensivist. I have not had this situation before, Intensivist sees patient and drops Critical Care 99291/40 minutes. Next he does Death Summary. I know I cannot code both on same date of service, but I am confused at to which one to code. I want to code the Death Discharge as it was the final information, but there is no time on it. Do I just automatically code 99238?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12