AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Coding a revison of Roux-en-Y

Aurora, IL

Question Coding a revison of Roux-en-Y

AAPC: Back to School
    One of our surgeons did a revision of a roux-en-Y and we cannot figure out what code is appropriate. "I had to take down the previous anastomosis, oversew the gastric limb defect and create a new anastomosis just distal to the prior one....I then created just distal to that site, a new Roux-en-Y anastomosis..."

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this enough information? We were looking at 44120 or 43860
    Chrissy, CPC

I'm having the same problem. I can tell you that i've billed out 43860 already, and it got denied by BCBS because it's in the "Gastric Bypass" section of the CPT book. My physician converted a gastrojejunostomy tube to a Roux-en-y.

Corrected reply:

We use CPT 43659 with an explanation that this is a Lap Revision of a Roux with the Procedure Note.

If this is an open procedure use CPT 43848 if it truly is a revision of a "Roux".

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 02:29 AM
  2. Revison of Rod Instrumentation HELP!
    By amberlellis in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM
  3. Circumcision revison and Z-Plasty
    By JenReyn99 in forum Urology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
  4. laparoscopic revison bariatric surgery