Thread: X-Ray Read

Question X-Ray Read

Promo: Code Books
    Hi i have a question regarding x-rays and the read. If a doctor only looks at the x-ray and doesn't take it can you bill for this code 76140? My interpretation of that code is, one: it is a consultation and two: it specifies "written report". I thought that if the doctor only did the read, it was billed as what ever the x-ray was, like a 78300 and then a modifier 26 to indicate the read. So does anyone out there know what is the proper way to bill? Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, here's the info on Pro Fee Rad.

If you're Doc is reading X-rays, he/she would bill the X-ray/CT/MRI, etc with a 26 mod on the Rad codes. There must be a written report for these services.

That Consult code you mentioned is for when a "second opinion" or the like is requested of a Radiologist. He/She did not have to be present when the x-ray was taken, but a report of his/her specific read must be placed in the chart. I see this often when a patient is transferred. Hospital A did a CT; when the patient was tranferred to Hosp B, the films came with him/her. The Rad at Hospital B is asked to read the CT (whether or not it has been read before) and provide his/her opinion--Consult. No mod-26 is added to 76140.

I'm not sure this helps, but private message me if you need to be more specific. Be happy to help.

Good luck.
    Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Hey thanks very much that helped a lot... I can see why they call you the Guru!!