AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Allergy Testing

Default Allergy Testing

AAPC: Back to School
    I could use some help in what I should see for Allegry Testing Documentation.
    I am currently auditing "allergy testing" CPt codes 95004-95075. Mainly Percutaneous tests and Intradermal testing.

Mainly what I am seeing is charting done by the LPN on the tests done and the reaction. The physician writes a blurb in his note "percutaneous skin testing was positive to cat, rabbit, grass mix..etc."

This does not seem like enough information to be reimbursed sometimes up to $500.00.

Shouldn't there be an order first, then a detailed explanation from the physician regarding what they are allergic to or what they got a reaction from.

A great majority of these tests are done during the patient's first visit, so the "plan" is usually done after the testing.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill. Any help would be appreciated.

Barbara Love, CPC, CPC-H, CMSCS, CBCS

Default Allergy Testing

Barbara -

In my allergy office, the physicians have a sheet that documents each allergen that was planted and the results. The skin testing is done by the MA or RN, but is read by the MD. The MD documents only the positives in his note.

If you are doing an audit for skin testing, there should be documentation of the actual number of tests that were performed.

Kathy Charpentier, LPN, CPC
    Practice Manager

Default Allergy testing

Should there be an order for the testing, remember they are performing a E&M service and the testing.

In the office, there is not a written order. My staff will do the pt intake and then is told by the MD what testing should be performed. It isn't any differerent than doing an EKG or spirometry in the office during the visit.

Feel free to send an e-mail to me directly, if you'd like.