see in the front of your ICD-9 book "coding guidelines" Section IV. Diagnostic Coding and Reporting Guidelines for Outpatient Services
O. Ambulatory Surgery
For ambulatory surgery, code the dx for which the surgery was performed. If the post-op dx is known to be different from the pre-op dx at the time the diagnosis is confirmed, select the post-op dx for coding, since it is the most definitive.
Hope this helps!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join