Pg. 14 of 2009 CPT says, "A The physician consultant may initiate diagnostic and/or therapeutic services at the same or subsequent visit.
The written or verbal request for a consult may be made by a physician or other appropriate source and documented in the patient's medical record.".
(key word "verbal" here)
The ID doc should identify the requestor and reason for the consult in the consult chart note, as well as document evidence of a written report sent to the requestor.
Hope this helps,
Coding Compliance Auditor
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join