Thread: ER Level

Default ER Level

Promo: Code Books
    I am new to ER coding and was taught that under Complexity/Medical Decision Making: most encounters done in ER are "new problem to examiner; add'l work-up planned"; because they are almost always ordering X-rays, labs, ect......I was just informed that the "add'l w/u" is what is done OUTSIDE of the ER. Any comments would be appreciated.

TIA,
    M Wood

Thumbs up

Any encounter done in the ER is considered new problem w/ additional work-up. Hope this helps

Default ER # of DX or TX options

Quote Originally Posted by lrhoward View Post
    Any encounter done in the ER is considered new problem w/ additional work-up. Hope this helps
    Hello Ms. Howard,
    I do not give every encounter in ER the additional work-up. If a patient was seen and treated, then recommended follow-up with PCP, then I would give "no additional workup planned".

When the physician says follow up with PCP in 3 days if not improving this is not additional work up. However if they say contacted PCP and appointment Mon. morning @ 9am this is additional work up planned and should be used.
    KAK6CPC

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 09:52 PM
  2. Level 1 and Level II Remote Coder Positions
    By gfrancis in forum Job Postings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 10:05 PM
  3. 2 Level decompression, 1 new level, 1 redo
    By mbabou in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
  4. H&P performed with level 3 visit, raise level 4?
    By LynnS.321 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 07:28 AM