AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Microlumbar Diskectomy

Question Microlumbar Diskectomy

AAPC: Back to School
    I code for an ASC and need some input on coding a lumbar microscopic diskectomy / decompression. Laminotomy at L4 and facetectomy are documented as well. This is a reexploration from 10 years ago. I have coded it as:

My concern is that this was a reexploration and maybe CPT 63042 would apply but with 69990?? Any advice would be so helpful.

Thank you,
    F. Vogel, CPT

North Carolina

Based on what you stated...I would go with 63042 since you mentioned re-exploration. CCI edits don't allow 63042 and 69990; however, it is the standard of our practice to post 69990, if used, across the board. We have several carriers that don't follow this edit and allow payment. I mentioned in another post that a member of the Karen Zupko and Assoc group was in our office recentley and this was, also, her recommendation.

Thank you so much for your quick response! I will definitely use this information and appreciate your time.

F. Vogel, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Thoracic Diskectomy
    By franschumm in forum Neurology/Neurosurgery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 06:27 AM
  2. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!Diskectomy & fusion C4-C7
    By lfisher@imdsinc.com in forum Neurology/Neurosurgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM
  3. laminectomy and diskectomy
    By Jasper74 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
  4. Laminectomy/diskectomy
    By orthopaedic01 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 06:19 AM
  5. Re exploration diskectomy 63042-help!
    By terese74 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM