Oncology/radiation question

Default Oncology/radiation question
    Medical Coding Books
    I am brand new to oncology and radiation therapy coding can anyone help
    me as far as documentation requirements and what I should be looking for
    specifically to make sure they have documented what they should to cover
    the professional components for radiation therapy as well as chemo tx.
    thanks a million

Depending upon your location, your MAC may have Rad Onc LCDs which will give you information about each code and components of the codes. Each code will vary and depend upon the work performed. There is no one way the documentation must be, it will vary for each service. Otherwise there are consulting companies who assist with training and other coding guides like from ASTRO available.
    Thank you,
    Teri Bedard, BA, RT(R)(T), CPC

Thank you for your advice, I know there are several codes they use and something about a charge every 4 or 5 visits but thats french to me. I am looking into education on this but was hoping I could get some info to get started. I am not familiar with astro is this a education company?

ASTRO is one of the societies that does a lot with coding and billing guidelines. There are companies that also do consulting specifically for radiation oncology, Revenue Cycle, Inc., Coding Strategies and AMAC. You may want to also reach out to the physicians and see if they are members of ASTRO or ACRO which may benefit you to access the info they have available. Many of the LCDs will explain billing for the physician management code (77427) and the continuing physics (77336).
    Thank you,
    Teri Bedard, BA, RT(R)(T), CPC

Sorry so long before my reply, thought I had done so. Thank you so much for your help. I need all I can get.