Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

AHIMA compared to CPC ?

Exam Training Packages
    Kevin,
    I do respect you and your opinions as I am very happy to know you a little by reading your posts all the time.

All healthcare settings do accept credentials from AAPC, please don't get me wrong, but for IP coding, the CCS is more preferable, as the AAPC CPC-H is for outpatient hospital coders.

It's always nice to hear your opinions.

P.S. I did work in a hospital as a Compliance Auditor with my CPC, but If I had my CCS, I would've had a chance to work as an IP coder.

Lilit
    CPC CCS
    "The true way to render ourselves happy is to love our work and find in it our pleasure."

Personally, I think the bottom line is not so much the credential you may have, both CPC and CCS have their places, but whether or not you have experience. Many, many places want experience, IN ADDITON to their credential of choice. So it doesnt matter if you have one credential, or multiple, without experience employers may not be interested in you anyway. If you are looking for experience and cant find a paying job, you may want to volunteer in an office or facility, or call a billing service and explain your situation and ask at what position you can start and work your way up to coding. Just some examples of way to gain experience in the real world without having an actual position.

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CEMC

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbshields View Post
    Do no think for even a minute that the CCS will make employers flock to you. I had the same impression: this certification will solve all my "problems." Guess what? It didn't.

Luckily, I found my employment home before I sat for the CCS. Still, if you are expecting three more letters behind your name to drastically change your circumstances, I doubt you'll be pleased with the results. Although I encourage folks to challenge themselves, it's unrealistic to have reliance on something that can't do the work for you.

The main point is that the hurdles don't end with gaining credentials, they're daily occurances. If you're serious about a career in coding or HIM, then you really have to be committed to the long haul. If you feel faint of heart at hearing that, perhaps this isn't the industry for you.

Good luck to all.
    I'm very interested that's why I'm still "with it" after four years. I don't mean to get frustrated, but I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm only human, but I'm going to endure. My goal is to get as many initials as possible. I do enjoy coding, even though I'm not certified.

I was in the process of taking the CCS exam until i heard about how hard it is, So i got advice from different collages and they all told me its a very hard exam they directed me to the HIT assoicate programs they have to offer in addition the the program you have to complete an internship which gives you hands on training, after your done with the program you can register through ahimia and get a RHIA or RHIT. I am hoping that this will help in a inpatient setting.

ARWA CPC

My employer pays for my membership with AAPC along with all my training and CEU's. If i became AHIMA certified i would have to pay for the test, along with the training and the yearly membership. That is very difficult for some people to do. Then i was told you pay $300.00 for the test and only get one chance !!!! I think, expirence or not, the first time around, your nerves get the best of you. I know i failed the CPC the first time i took it and i was scheduled to take it again a few months later and i was soo sick that morning i had to rescedule. When i did take it, i passed.

i soooo totally agree. although cpc and ccs certifications are basically up the the employer's preferences all the hospitals i looked into or applied to (at least in southern ca) required ccs or rhia/rhit certifications. they wont even look at your experience/resume if you dont have those certifications!
    i took the ccs right out of coding school and failed and was really bummed! i took the cpc a month later because i was determined to get certified in one way or another and plus, there were 2 chances on one exam fee...i passed the 1st time. also realized that the exams are totally different! not just on the ip/op aspect of coding but cpc, like other posters said, is multiple choice so if you cant confirm your codes and are good at "guessitating" answers... you'll get it right. the ccs isnt so helpful. the 1st part was multiple choice but asked all sorts of questions including DRG code and fee calculations and reimbursements stuff! they allow you to bring in a medical dictionary but i didnt even refer to it more than once! also, you are pressed for time. plus the 2nd part is all coding answers...it's either right or wrong. and you have to sequence the codes in the correct order or it's point(s) againts you.
    prior to taking the ccs exam, i bought and used many, many review books and even attempted their sample coding exam...the test was much harder!
    i am determined to re-take it again in a few months...but still discouraged from failing before

7. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by geminitc81 View Post
    I was in the process of taking the CCS exam until i heard about how hard it is, So i got advice from different collages and they all told me its a very hard exam they directed me to the HIT assoicate programs they have to offer in addition the the program you have to complete an internship which gives you hands on training, after your done with the program you can register through ahimia and get a RHIA or RHIT. I am hoping that this will help in a inpatient setting.

ARWA CPC
    Just an FYI in case someone reads this post and misunderstands--RHIT/RHIA credentials are not awarded because you register with AHIMA. You must complete a degree (Associate for RHIT and Bachelor's for RHIA) including practicums and then pass a certification test. The school awarding the degree must be CAHIM approved. Part of the reason RHIT/RHIA credentials are wanted is because they signify the completion of a college degree.

8. Default ccs stydy guide
    i am selling the ccs study guide. it's never been used. e-mail me at zoogs16@yahoo.com

thanks

9. Default
    I agree with sonjagirl. Reading this, made me against AHIMA. I am a cpc throught AAPC, and was planning to give CCS exam. I just passed CPC exam and when I applied in hopitals, they just said that they need AHIMA. I am confused, whether to take classes for CCS or can give exam if we are a good coder?? But reading above msgs, made me stressful and now I think I need to study more for CCS. And for that I need some more information. And I think, I have to work more and more for CCS.

Default Study group
    They have study group for the CCS on Facebook . I hold an cpc but want to have more opportunities.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast