AAPC - Back to school
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AHIMA compared to CPC ?

Woodland Hills (Los Angeles), California

AAPC: Back to School
    Every time I look up there is another hurdle. Now I have to think about getting an RHIT or RHIA just to work as an inpatient coder?

As a last resort, I'm seriously thinking about going into nursing--since I can get a job working in a hospital before I even finish the nursing program. This has happened to a few nursing students I personally know. That's just how bad things are here. There is a severe nursing shortage in California.

After I complete the nursing program, I'm wondering how many hurdles I'll have to go just to get license.

I personally know several individuals who were registered nurses. The majority of them advised me against it--two are my teachers, one is my supervisor, one is my doctor's assistant, and another one worked in a clinic. None worked as an RN beyond six years, and some nursing students aren't feel thrilled about the profession.

I don't mind working as a medical administrative assistant or probably a ward clerk. It's hard to get into this, too. Every other medical position is being outsourced.

Decisions . . . . decisions . . .

thanks aimie.....will try to find it out on fb. hope it works out.

The CCS exam is very hard. It is nothing like the CPC. For one, you cannot write in your book. You can highlight and make simple coding notes but no coding guidelines. You also have one chance at it. They have recently changed the format of the exam so i'd highly recommend everyone considering taking it to look at the AHIMA website. I see people post here all the time that they are not sure which creditials to go with, in my area it is pretty simple, CPC = Physician's CCS= Hospital's. We have three major hospitals in my area and only one will accept the CPC-H. The other two will not even allow you to fill out an application unless you are CCS. I am currently studying for the CCS exam and can tell you after eight years expirence in both hosptial and physician's office i am still having a hard time passing the CCS. It take alot of studying but is well worth it in the end. Don't give up. If you are dedicated and willing to put the time/money into it then go for it. Having all these creditials behind your name will never hurt you nor will it ever be a waste of money. I first felt that i should have never became CPC and should have went straight to CCS out of college but now know that it isn't that simple. I would have never passed nor would i have been given the oppertunities in my career that i have now. Best of luck to everyone.

Can any one provide me the information to get reading materials for CCS exam?? I am ready to buy. And if anyone have any info for any of the colleges providing the classes for the ccs exam preparation than pls let me know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234