LCIS lobular carcinoma situ

Cool LCIS lobular carcinoma situ
    Medical Coding Books
    I felt this was a good place to start for all of you experts out there.
    I have a patient who from the pathology report was dx with LCIS, hence no malignancy found.
    In the ICD-9 index, it brings you to a cancerous dx M8520/2 (but this is for invasive)
    Lobular carcinoma situ is a marker of a patient who is at risk for developing a real cancer sometime in the future. So I consider this to be a neoplasia.
    Question: what dx code should we chose?
    I choose 238.3 since it is uncertain behavior, I did not choose 217 since the path didn't read it was benign. I am certainly not going to follow the guidelines and give the patient a cancer code since the MD just told her is was not cancerous. I just want to see if anyone else see's it the way I understand it.
    Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default LCIS follow-up
    Hello,
    You ask a great question. After checking with two Physicians, I confidently agree with your code selection. Clear distinction between DCIS and LCIS as you noted, but people get confused or don't know the difference. Nice catch, coder. American Cancer Society agrees as well. Great example of "uncertain behavior"
    CPC, CHONC in MN

LCIS of breast is 233.0 it is not uncertain it is in situ. 233.0 includes LCIS.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

LCIS of breast is 233.0 it is not uncertain it is in situ. 233.0 includes LCIS.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

5. Default Carcinoma in-situ
    when I look up Carcinoma, lobular , specified site-it says to see Neoplasm, by site, in situ 233.0.
    I was always told 'uncertain behavior' was for use by pathology.
    Tricia D