In all Forums "no" help for this. PLZ HELP

Default In all Forums "no" help for this. PLZ HELP
    Medical Coding Books
    I am a CPC in a Pediatric office. Today our Dr. asked for my help and advice with an issue that has been a "FIRST" in our office, however I thought in all the Pediatric forums I would find someone else that has encountered this and could help via a diagnosis code. Our Dr. saw 2 sets of parents that presented with a traumatic situation of their boys (whom are best friends at school) age 6, having sexual relations. Our Dr., along with myself have torn up ideas in which to look this up in ICD-9. Our Dr spent 1hr 1/2 counseling these parents on this issue. We can not locate any code in ICD-9 that will in truth describe this situation. Please help in anyway possible. Thank you so much!!

Did you look at 259.1 or V69.2?

Cathy

302.9 perhaps?

I'd think about using 259.1

Without more information both 302.9 and 259.1 and V69.2 all seem possible then.

302.-- is Sexual deviations and disorders
    V 69.2 is High-risk sexual behavior
    259.1 Precocious sexual development and puberty, not elsewhere classified.

In my opinion, Dx 259.1 is the least likely to do permanent labeling. Remember, your diagnosis coding will last until these boys turn 21 years old, if not longer...so a natural curiosity can have a lasting effect.
    Marcus Murphy, CPPM

7. Default
    I do not believe the codes suggested are appropriate as you note no confirmed diagnosis for these children. Precocious puberty is a constitutional disorder that has not been described here. I would report V61.20, Counseling for parent-child problem, unspecified (inclusion note - Concern about behavior of child). Though additional evaluation of the children may lead to more specific diagnoses, the encounter is described as focused on counseling the parents about their children's behavior. Hope this is not too late to be helpful.