Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone help me? Does Canada use CPT

Education Officer Loveland/Ft Collins, Colorado
    Default Can anyone help me? Does Canada use CPT
    Medical Coding Books
    Can anyone help me? Does Canada use CPT, ICD-9 and HCPCS. Everything I have found points to ICD-10 and not CPT. Your information would be appreciated.
    Melody S. Irvine,CPC, CPMA, CEMC, CFPC, CPB, CPC-I, CCS-P, CMRS
    2016 Member Education Officer, Loveland, Colorado
    2016 - 2019 AAPC Chapter Association Board of Directors
    Region 7, Montana, Idaho, WY, CO, NM
    Email: Melody.Irvine@AAPCCA.org
    Phone: (970) 222-1900

Canada does use ICD-10. The United States will be the last to implement it.

Machelle
    CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M

3. Default Canada
    From what I understand Canada is ahead of the game when it comes to coding, they are using a higher level- I am not sure if it is ICD-10 but close to it. The US is behind all other countries when it comes to billing and coding.
    Finance Analyst

Disclaimer: we may be behind because there are more "cooks in the kitchen" in the good ole' US of A. Other countries who have a single-payer system do not have CPT/HCPCS for capturing charges, nor is there push back from insurance companies, professional associations, etc. However, we also bring home larger salaries than the coding professionals in Canada, the UK and Australia . . . we work with a more complex set of systems!

Now, I'm sure things to our north weren't idyllic and rosy during the transition. Nevertheless, their coders lived through it.

5. Default moving to Canada
    There is any coding association in Canada, do you need to pass any tests in Canada to become medical coder? Does anyone knows? How about the CPC, it is valid in Canada?
    Thanks.

Canada uses ICD-10 the US will use ICD-10 CM these are different code sets with different rules.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

7. Default Coding in Canada
    Hi,

I want to know the Medical coding process in CANADA, What are the Certifications are essential to get a medical coding job ?

Yes, Canada uses ICD-10-CA their own clinical modifications to the base ICD-10. So you'd have to take a certification in Canada to be able to work there. At least that's all the quick research I've done using google.
    Ben Crocker, CPC-A; Burlington, VT

9. Default medical coding job
    can I get job in canada as a medical coder?

10. Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhi.arora View Post
    can I get job in canada as a medical coder?
    I am wondering the same thing. Also would I have to get certified in Canada before applying for jobs there or would I have to move there then get certified and start applying for jobs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast