It depends on whether you're talking ICD or CPT.
ICD makes a definite distinction between the two Dx codes (873.4X forehead and 873.X for scalp). CPT Repair codes also make a distinction.
According to Miller-Keane, the scalp is, "that part of the skin of the head (exclusive of the face) which is usually covered by a growth of hair." (Miller-Keane Encyclopedia & Dictionary of Med., Nursing & Allied Health, 7th Ed, pg 1587).
With that being said, the aforementioned hairline makes the distinction.
Hope this helps and good luck.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join