Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Botox billing advice needed!

1. Default
    Exam Training Packages
    Hello,

I work for a Multispecialty Ophthalmology clinic and we have a Oculoplastic Surgeon who performs Botox Injections for functional reasons, but also cosmetic purposes. Currently we only bill for the Botox itself J0585. Here's a thought, if you are purely looking to do cosmetic botox and are only concerned about coding for tracking purposes have you thought of using a dummy code in your practice management system. We do this for certain services that are "patient convenience options", and prevents accidentally billing the insurance. It also helps to seperate/distinguish cosmetic use vs. functional.

Jason Lang, CPC
    Billing Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by jasonl73 View Post
    Hello,

I work for a Multispecialty Ophthalmology clinic and we have a Oculoplastic Surgeon who performs Botox Injections for functional reasons, but also cosmetic purposes. Currently we only bill for the Botox itself J0585. Here's a thought, if you are purely looking to do cosmetic botox and are only concerned about coding for tracking purposes have you thought of using a dummy code in your practice management system. We do this for certain services that are "patient convenience options", and prevents accidentally billing the insurance. It also helps to seperate/distinguish cosmetic use vs. functional.

Jason Lang, CPC
    Billing Administrator
    Jason,
    That is a great suggestion, and yes that has crossed my mind. We use dummy codes for other billing scenarios that don't go to insurance, so I'm sure that would work for cosmetic Botox as well.
    Thank you
    Carrie
    Carrie, BS, CPC

3. Default
    I went to the Plastic surgery conference that was done by ASPS (it was Nov 08 in Chicago). They told us that you should never bill anything that you are doing as cosmetic with an actual ICD-9 code. You should make "dummy" codes for tracking purposes. We use 99999R for a return botox patient. Hope this helps.

Terri

Default I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by terridiaz View Post
    I went to the Plastic surgery conference that was done by ASPS (it was Nov 08 in Chicago). They told us that you should never bill anything that you are doing as cosmetic with an actual ICD-9 code. You should make "dummy" codes for tracking purposes. We use 99999R for a return botox patient. Hope this helps.

Terri
    Terri,
    I agree--the cosmetic patient doesn't really have a "diagnosis" so I will be using a dummy code for the dx section. We should probably create a dummy code for the procedure as well.
    Thanks for the input everyone!
    Carrie, BS, CPC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12