AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Using 43273 add on code with ERCP'S

AAPC: Back to School
    Yes, 43273 is used in addition to the ERCP codes you mention. It is an "add-on" code and can only be billed with another ERCP code.
    Jenny Berkshire, CPC, CEMC, CGIC

Default Using 43273 add on code with ERCP'S

Is the new add on code for ERCP'S of 43273 used automatically with 43260, 43261, 43263-43265 and 43267-43272?

Thank you for your reply

Question ERCP add on code/need help

I code for two GI Dr's. One does ERCP's and he is telling me that I can not use the new CPT add on code of 43273 because it is only for using the SpyGlass technology in which you actually place a catheter with the scope into the bile and/or pancreatic duct. He says if it says cholangioscopy or pancreatoscopy than that is what that is. When he does his ERCP's he dictates the following:
    "Major papilla was identified and selective cannulation of the common bile duct was first performed with the scope and a cholangiogram obtained"
    So my question is this. Is the new add on code a generic code that can be used in his situation?
    thanks so much.
    confused coder

Similar Threads

1. help with CPT code for ERCP
    By mycats3rspoiled@wildblue.net in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 07:26 AM
  2. ERCP: CPT code for Catheter dilation
    By skc1405 in forum Gastroenterology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM
  3. 43273 add-on code