AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Radiology Question

Question Radiology Question

AAPC: Back to School
    Good morning all-I have two queations:

1. The Ed docs in our trauma center are asking our radiologists to read outside films that accompany their trauma transfers. I would code these as 76140 however my group is pushing to bill the primary CPT code (ie 70450 for a head CT) as they consider these a first read. Any thoughts?

2. Is it correct to bill 76645 and 76880 when scanning the breast and the axilla in the same session?

Thanks for your thoughts.

if your gonna bill the actual cpt code and its for a read only you must append the 26 modifier to the cpt code of that procedure. as for billing the breast and the other cpt code you can only bill both procedure codes if there is an individual report for both the breast and the axillary area. also check the carrier b/c most carriers will not pay for both the breast and the other code you mentioned.
    Amber Gary, CPC

If docs reads outside film you have to assign cpt code for whatever study they had read (ex. if ct of abdomen with contrast was read then assign 74160-26). I am radiology coder and we never bill 76140..
    Purvi, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Radiology question
    By sfrost@valley-ic.com in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 01:54 PM
  2. Radiology Question
    By driddle13@cox.net in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM
  3. Radiology Question
    By TDEGRAFENREID in forum Medical Coding General Discussion