AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Core Matrix Patch

Default Core Matrix Patch

AAPC: Back to School
    The surgeon performs a aortocoronary bypass grafting (1 Art 2 ven) and at the end of the procedure he states that he "placed a patch of core martix over the ventral aorta and graft in attempt to insulate it from the healing periosteum." Is this a separatly reportable procedure?

There is an Aortic wrap procedure that our Dr.'s perform. It's basically a dacron material thats used to reinforce the aorta,thereby diminishing the risk for potential rupture. The aorta is not repaired, replaced or grafted.. So we use a unlisted procedure code 33999 and send in w/ op notes. You would have to read more into your op note to see if this is what the Dr. did. If so use the 33999-

All the reports says about that portion of the procedure is "We placed a patch of core matrix over the ventral aorta and graft in attempt to insulate it from the healting periosteum." In this case the aorta was not repaired or replaced however a CABG was done.
    When you bill for the aorta wrap is that done in conjunction with other procedures (i.e. CABG) or is that the only procedure you are billing for?

I have seen it done alone or w/ CABG's . But the diagnosis is always for Aortic Dilitation. I'm not sure in your case if this patch is considered a full wrap b/c it states for healing periosteum.

I Think I found you the perfect code check out 15430--