Doctor with Resident

Default Doctor with Resident
    Medical Coding Books
    My doctor's told me that they were told that when they have a resident with them that on a discharge they can not use 99239 even if they spent more then 30 minutes. Is this true?

I would think that if the doctor spent more than 30 minutes on the discharge, even though he has a resident he should be able to code 239 and not 238.

Thanks for your help.
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."

I have never heard of that either. But if it is true i would like to see it in writing before i present it to my doctors.

I never heard of that either and I work in a residency program also. If he is spending 30 mins or more on a discharge he has to document the time.

Default Doctor's time or Resident's time
    Is it possible that the doctor is thinking that if all s/he does is sign off on the resident's note the time over 30 minutes doesn't count?

I work for a Pediatric Surgery service, but we are part of an academic program, and always have residents. We certainly use 99239 when the faculty MD documents time over 30 minutes.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Default Thanks
    Thanks to all of you, this really helps me out. I was thinking the same as you but just wanted backup.

thanks again
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."