If there is a separately identifiable E/M service provided unrelated to the surgery, it can be coded with a -24 modifier.
Make sure that the service provided meets the guidelines for Smoking Cessation codes. (I'm at home and without my books, or I'd cite them.) Just telling the person s/he should stop smoking won't cut it.
I'd advise a completely separate note for the smoking cessation E/M service from the note dealing with post-op care.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join