AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Cci Edits / Mutually Exclusive Edits

Default Cci Edits / Mutually Exclusive Edits

AAPC: Back to School
    I was wondering if anyone could describe to me the difference between the Medicare CCI edits table and the Mutually exclusive edits table?
    Thank you

North Carolina

Mutually exclusive codes are those codes that cannot reasonably be done in the same session.

The CCI table-
    Each edit table contains edits which are pairs of HCPCS/CPT codes that in general should not be reported together. Each edit has a column one and column two HCPCS/CPT code. If a provider reports the two codes of an edit pair, the column two code is denied, and the column one code is eligible for payment. However, if it is clinically appropriate to utilize an NCCI-associated modifier, both the column one and column two codes are eligible for payment

Thank you so much for your insight. That definitely makes my life much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by heiditipherwell View Post
    Thank you so much for your insight. That definitely makes my life much easier.
    This is not a reply but an inquiry on Mutually Exclusives Edits for CPT codes 82947 and 82962. Are both codes billable and payable? if yes/no .....why?

Similar Threads

1. CCI Edits
    By catrina.thomas in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 12:17 PM
  2. CCI Edits
    By NaliniAAPC in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 03:09 PM
  3. NCCI edits vs Mutually exclusive edits
    By uhlerclarem in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 1