AAPC - Back to school

Thread: SLAP debridement

Default SLAP debridement

AAPC: Back to School
    Hello everyone, I wanted to see what you guys thought of the following op report;

anterior portal was made, a 4.5 shaver was introduced, the SLAP lesion was identified and debrided, the SLAP extended into the biceps tendon and therefore a resection was completed with the shaver, and an Arthrocare bipolar radiogrequency wand. Once this was accomplished, the undersurface of the rotator cuff showing a small partial tear. The arthroscope was then placed in the subacromial space and the bursa was thickened. Through a lateral portal, first identifying a 18 gauge spinal needle, a 4.5 shaver was introduced to debride the bursa. The undersurface of the acromion was debrided with the Arthrocare radiogrequency wand. Blood vessels were electrocauterized. The acromiocoracoid ligament ws resected. Soft tissue was resected off the distal clavicle, which was found to be osteoarthritic. An acromionizer burr was used to perform an anterior acromioplasty and performed the beginning of the resection of the distal clavicle. The arthroscope was then placd in the lateral portal and the burr was placed on the posterior portal completing the anterior acromioplasty. Placing an unsheathed acromionizer burr through the anterior portal parallel with the distal clavicle, the distal clavicle was resected.

this is what I came up with,

29824 (i will get Dr. to dictate size)
    29822-59 (for SLAP debridement)
    debridement of bursa included in 29826

anyone differ???

Thank you

Default SLAP debridement

Are u sure that Code 29822 with 59 will be accepted, I doubt . I would have coded it with 29826 & 29824.

Thank you
    Dr. Poonam

documentation does support 29822 with the 59 modifier..I say keep it.

Mary, CPC, COSC

thank you both,

I just really thought since the Dr. did a SLAP debridement located in a separate compartment that this would justify billing 29822-59