Over 50% Off + FREE Exam with Certification Training | Learn More

06-09-2017, 04:51 AM | Community Wiki

ICD10 Dx Code for Tendonitis of Shoulder

1. Default ICD10 Dx Code for Tendonitis of Shoulder
    Medical Coding Books
    We are having quite the debate on the proper ICD10 coding of Tendonitis of the Shoulder when no other indication is given. Has anyone run into this, and/or do you have an opinion?

Thank You!

M65.81.. would be my suggestion based on the index of the ICD-10 code book.

Quote Originally Posted by bharris77 View Post
    M65.81.. would be my suggestion based on the index of the ICD-10 code book.
    M65.81 is not a code and cannot be used it is a subcategory and as a subcategory you should look there for the shoulder but you do need to know lt or rt side

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

I did not say that M65.81 was the complete code. I wanted to point you to the correct category to select the apporpriate code from. M65.81 is the base code for the selection. I was under the impression that when you put ... after something it means that there is another digit needed or more information available after the base code. It would be like writing M65.8... It would be based on the coding documentation to select the remaining digits needed to correctly code a case. I do not like to put the whole code selection due to the fact that i am not reviewing the documentation. Below are the 3 coding options for tendonitis of the shoulder:

M65.811 Left shouulder
    M65.812 Right shoulder
    M65.819 Unspecified shoulder

We do not learn if we give the answer in its entirety (all digits that are available to use). I will point you in the direction, but i can not give you the code to use correctly without the documentation to support the charge code. We are a learning environment not one that only gives the answer without telling you why or where to go to find the information for yourself next time.

5. Red face Tenosynovitis of right shoulder
    Is m65.811 right shoulder

m65.812 is the left shoulder

6. Default
    "Tendinitis of the Shoulder" is pretty vague to start with. The question/query needs to be more specific. In general, when a physician, particularly an Orthopedic Surgeon, speaks of "Tendinitis of the Shoulder," he/she is usually meaning "Rotator Cuff Tendinitis," which does not even have a specific code in ICD-10. In general, ICD-10 has made a real mess of this whole concept of Tendinitis, Bursitis, Synovitis, and/or Tenosynovitis of the Shoulder (but not it alone). It is far too complicated, fragmented, and confusing for anybody to figure out. I note that none of the previous responders to this has even mentioned the M75. Code Set for "Shoulder Lesions." Unfortunately, it/M75 does not include "Rotator Cuff Tendinitis" in its list of shoulder disorders, even if it is probably the most frequent diagnosis made to explain shoulder pain. In one of my Blogs (Shoulder Pain and ICD-10) at icd10orthocoder.com, I have "tried" to sort this out as best I can, but even then there is room for confusion &/or debate. I would suggest reading it.

Respectfully submitted, Alan Pechacek, M.D.
    icd10orthocoder.com

Red face
    I have been using M75.91 or M75.92 for shoulder tendinitis/ tendinosis. Since there is no "shoulder" listed under tendinitis, I go back up to "see also Enthesopathy" which when you scroll down to shoulder region states to see Lesion, Shoulder. I use the M75.81 and M75.82 for the rotator cuff tendinitis.

shoulder tendosynovitis is m65.811 or m65.812.

If it is specified as calcific tendinitis, you can use M75.31/M75.32.

9. Default shoulder tendosynovitis is m65.811 or m65.812.
    Hi,
    Good day !
    I navigate for this condition in 3M i found that M65.811 and M65.812 will be the perfect codes for Tendosynovitis of shoulder..

Hope this is useful !

Thanks&Bestregards,
    Sureseh myneni CPC.