Mini Mental Status Exam
Q: Is there a CPT code for performing a Mini Mental Status Exam (MMSE) during an office visit for the purpose of assessing a patient who has memory problems?
A: No. The physician administration, interpretation and written report associated with the MMSE is included in the E/M service code for the patient encounter. It is not separately codeable. The 1997 documentation guidelines for E/M services reference "brief assessment of mental status including: orientation to time, place and person; recent and remote memory; mood and affect (e.g., depression, anxiety, agitation)" as part of the exam elements for a general multi-system exam
(Copied from the 97 guidelines)
Psychiatric Description of patient’s judgment and insight
Brief assessment of mental status including:
• orientation to time, place and person
• recent and remote memory
• mood and affect (eg, depression, anxiety, agitation)
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join