Having no background in the healthcare field you will face a definite challenge. Focus on your strengths; draw that parallel between manufacturer warranty coding and medical coding.
My advice would be to start looking for an entry-level position anywhere that will take you right now, while you complete your training and get certifiied.
Many of us started out as the receptionist or medical records clerk, and worked our way up from there. These were positions that didn't require coding certification (and didn't involve coding or billing) but did give us a chance to learn the general business of healthcare and show our employers what kind of valuable employees we are.
You have integrity, determination, a mature work attitude, and proven stability. Go for it!
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join