AAPC - Back to school

Thread: I need suggestions please!

Question I need suggestions please!

AAPC: Back to School
    Dr. did an AVR, pericardial effusion drainage and pleural effusion drainage. I have coded the AVR (33405), the pericardial window for drainage (33025 with mod 51) but I am having trouble coding for the pleural effusion drainage. She stated she opened bilateral pleural spaces to drain the effusions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code that part of the surgery? I've been scanning the codes, but just can't find one that covers it.

I would appreciate any help, suggestions, ideas etc that you can give me.

I'm thinking 32551-50, but that's without seeing the report....

More information is needed, how was the drainage done, thru chest tube or seperate thoracotomy. the same thing with the drainage of the perocardial effusion.Is it documented that a pericardial window was created or was it sone thru pericardiocentesis

It was during an open thoracotomy for the AVR. It may be that it's going to have to included, but I was hoping that since it was separately from the AVR I could code for it.

Similar Threads

1. any suggestions
    By trose45116 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 08:25 AM
  3. any suggestions
    By trose45116 in forum Outpatient Facilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM
  4. any suggestions