venous stasis ulcer-Curious which diagnosis

Default venous stasis ulcer-Curious which diagnosis
    Exam Training Packages
    Curious which diagnosis others use for venous stasis ulcer??
    Thanks

454.0 since you didn't mention inflammation

Default venous stasis ulcer
    Since I'm reading this, can someone explain the difference between varicose veins and venous insufficiency? I see people use them interchangeably, but I am very confused with this. Can someone help?

As explained to me by a physician, venous insufficiency is dealing with the deep venous system and varicose veins are superficial, visible.

In coding an ulcer stated as venous stasis ulcer I would code as 459.81 and 707.1x (no mention of varicose vein)

In your index look up ulcer, stasis, then it leads you to with varicose vein 454.0, without varicose vein 459.81 or inflamed or infected 454.2

The 454.0 specifically states varicose vein with ulcer

Default venous stasis ulcer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri CPC View Post
    As explained to me by a physician, venous insufficiency is dealing with the deep venous system and varicose veins are superficial, visible.

In coding an ulcer stated as venous stasis ulcer I would code as 459.81 and 707.1x (no mention of varicose vein)

In your index look up ulcer, stasis, then it leads you to with varicose vein 454.0, without varicose vein 459.81 or inflamed or infected 454.2

The 454.0 specifically states varicose vein with ulcer
    Thanks Cheri, this makes sense to me, I was using the 459.81 also with the 707 code, but other's I talked to were using the 454 and I really was confused. Thanks for your help.
    Anna

6. Default venous stasis ulcer
    hi,
    wht is the correct code to be used in "venous stasis ulcer",454.0 or 459.81+707.1x.

7. Default Venous Stasis Ulcer
    Quote Originally Posted by naghul View Post
    hi,
    wht is the correct code to be used in "venous stasis ulcer",454.0 or 459.81+707.1x.

I just had this. The provider didn't say anything about varicose veins or the location of the ulcer.

Looking under Ulcer, Stasis: ICD-9 code book states to use 459.81. Looking at that code, there is a note stating to use additional codes for any associated ulceration.

I coded it this way: 459.81, 707.9
    Last edited by zerlautm; 01-27-2016 at 03:51 PM.