it is my understanding that mod -91 is/should be used for repeat lab/path testing....since sometimes it is necessary to repeat the same lab test on the same day to obtain multiple/additional test results. but also, you can NOT use this modifier to rerun or confirm initial results or if there were testing problems.
for mod -76 this is typically used for a repeat pricedure/service by the same physician(non-lab related)
these are both summarized/explained in appendix A of the CPT manual....
in your case, you should be appending modifier -91 instead of -76 since it is a lab/path repeat
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join