AAPC - Back to school

Thread: General Anesthesia Qualifications

Default General Anesthesia Qualifications

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone know where I can find a source that lists what qualifications are necessary for a provider to perform mac/general anesthesia. I know that a provider who performs mac anesthesia must be able to also provide general so i need to know the qualifications for the provider.

Lincoln, NE

Below is from the NCCI Policy Manual Chapter 2 along with the web link. I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for but maybe it helps?? And, of course, the provider must to be performing services within the scope of their state licensure.

"Monitored Anesthesia Care (MAC) may be performed by an anesthesia practitioner who administers sedatives, analgesics, hypnotics, and other anesthetic agents so that the patient remains responsive and breathes on his own. MAC provides anxiety relief, amnesia, pain relief, and comfort. MAC involves patient monitoring sufficient to anticipate the potential need to administer general anesthesia during a surgical or other procedure. MAC requires careful and continuous evaluation of various vital physiologic functions and the recognition and treatment of any adverse changes."

Julie, CPC

Similar Threads

1. 69210 Under General Anesthesia
    By andrewsbev23 in forum ENT/Otolaryngology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM
  2. General endotracheal anesthesia
    By jwschroeterjr@gmail.com in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 11:14 PM
  3. General anesthesia used in office
    By ortega831 in forum Anesthesia