Unfortunately there is no E/M modifier for decision for minor surgery. For major surgeries modifier 57 can be used on a same day visit / consult that resulted in a decision for surgery.
Although, you can bill modifier 25 w/ the E/M if the minor surgery is on the same day. You are reporting that the E/M is a separate and identifiable service. The minor procedure was a result of the visit. At the time the visit was rendered, the need for surgery was not determined.
Placing / removal of sutures (without major anesthesia) for minor procedures are bundled w/ the billed visit or surgery code.
Michael Kelly, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join