AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Shave biopsy help

Question Shave biopsy help

AAPC: Back to School
    Hello my fellow coders,

I need your help, my provider removed a lesion with the shave technique the measurement pre removal was 2mm per her dictation. We received the path and the final meaurement was 3mm, my question is, doesn't it shink? Is this correct?

Milwaukee WI

Default Lesion Plus Margin

THe measurement of the lesion is always done BEFORE surgery.
    The lesion is measured at its widest diameter plus minimal allowed margin. The size of the sample may be larger due to the size of incision required. Look at CPT 2009 Professional Edition, pate 54, top diagram. You'll see a long eliptical incision, which is much larger than the official lesion measurment. The entire sample will be sent to pathology, who will record a much larger sample size than the size of the lesion.

Hope that makes sense.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Thank you Tessa as always...

Similar Threads

1. shave biopsy
    By Kathy615 in forum Dermatology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2013, 02:24 PM
  2. biopsy versus shave biopsy-help
    By sauls in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 02:10 PM