Who is your Medicare carrier? If they want family hx on ALL consults this is a much higher standard than CPT.
CPT does not require a family history for consults at the lower levels.
99241 and 99242 have no pfsh requirement at all. 99243 requires at least one item of pfsh that is pertinent (could be social or past medical or family, but any one of them gets you the level).
Only 99244 and 99245 required a complete PFSH.
Could it be your physician is coding a too-high level of consult?
If the office is using a patient questionaire that has this info on it, the physician should be tying her note to that questionaire and indicating she reviewed that info on the date of exam.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join