I have had this happen ... I went to the hospital med records and pulled the order from our physician that clearly stated: "Admit for observation" and had the hospital change the patient status to OP.
Of course, you may find that the physician's order was just "Admit" ... In that case, the hospital is correct to assign Inpatient status and you should be using 99221-99223 OR 99234-99236 if the patient was admitted and discharged on the same calendar date.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join