Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Coding "Probable" diagnosis

Medical Coding Books
    Physician coding may never code a possible diagnosis, they may code only confirmed diagnosis or signs and symptoms. As far as a resolved dx then it will depend on what it is. If the patient is returning for an infection and it is documented as resolved at this encounter then we code the infection since that is why the patient is returning and it not deemed resolved until after exam. However for other conditions such as post surgical we code a follow up code from the V67.xx category or an aftercare code such as a V54.x or V58.xx.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    Physician coding may never code a possible diagnosis, they may code only confirmed diagnosis or signs and symptoms. As far as a resolved dx then it will depend on what it is. If the patient is returning for an infection and it is documented as resolved at this encounter then we code the infection since that is why the patient is returning and it not deemed resolved until after exam. However for other conditions such as post surgical we code a follow up code from the V67.xx category or an aftercare code such as a V54.x or V58.xx.
    Thank you Debra so much for your reply..

Facility coding: Can bill probable, rule out, etc.
    Physician coding, non-facility: Cannot bill probable, rule out, etc. code off of signs and symptoms.

Resolved: unless continuing care, cannot bill for resolved in either the facility inpatient coding or physician coding, non facililty.

I though just to summarize it..

3. Default Need reassurance...
    Quote Originally Posted by dscoder74 View Post
    Thank you Debra so much for your reply..

Facility coding: Can bill probable, rule out, etc.
    Physician coding, non-facility: Cannot bill probable, rule out, etc. code off of signs and symptoms.

Resolved: unless continuing care, cannot bill for resolved in either the facility inpatient coding or physician coding, non facililty.

I though just to summarize it..
    What I have stated is this accurate? I would like to hear others' opinions.

Thank you,

On the surface it looks good, just remember specific documentation can always assist with answering a question. The facility rule is for inpatient coders only. Outpatient follows physician rules.

5. Default
    On the surface it looks good, just remember specific documentation can always assist with answering a question. The facility rule is for inpatient coders only. Outpatient follows physician rules.
    Thanks Debra for responding again. I have been in the coding industry since 1995, the past two years I have been auditing physician hospital coding and documentation. I did not have any formal education on this so it's been a hit and miss learning about the rules. Unfortunately physicians at times can get confused on which rules apply to them. Thanks again for the reassurance...

6. Default
    "If the patient is returning for an infection and it is documented as resolved at this encounter then we code the infection since that is why the patient is returning and it not deemed resolved until after exam."

What happens then when after the exam, the patient has no indication of an infection, do you still bill it? If the physician states in his exam that there is no indication of infection, can he still bill it?

Thank you,

yes we are coding the reason for the visit which was the infection, if the patient is instructed to return yet again just to be sure then that visit gets a V67.x code for follow up following completed therapy. There is an old coding clinic on this which is where I learned, but I do not remember the year, sorry.

8. Default
    yes we are coding the reason for the visit which was the infection, if the patient is instructed to return yet again just to be sure then that visit gets a V67.x code for follow up following completed therapy. There is an old coding clinic on this which is where I learned, but I do not remember the year, sorry.
    Hi Debra,

Thanks for the reply. I code and audit in Nephrology/Internal medicine. So let's say that the patient had acute renal failure on the previous visit and the patient comes back, the physician documents that the patients' acute renal failure has resolved, can he still bill for it?

If the patient had hyperkalemia (elevated potassium reading) on the previous visit, the patient comes back and the labs prove that the patient no longer has it, the physician states in his documentation that the hyperkalemia has resolved. Can he bill for hyperkalemia?

I need to know if this applies to the outpatient rules? Office and Non-facility (hospital) physician coding.

I truely appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,

no to the acute renal failure and no to the hyperkalemia, these would be follow up following treatment a V67.x code

10. Default
    no to the acute renal failure and no to the hyperkalemia, these would be follow up following treatment a V67.x code
    Fabulous! Enough said! Thank you! Have a great weekend!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast