AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Discontinued procedure w/global period

Default Discontinued procedure w/global period

AAPC: Back to School
    Can anyone tell me, if a procedure with a global period (47562) is discontinued and billed out with modifier 53, is the global period still in effect?

North Carolina

This is a great question. I'm still digging but what I have found, thus far, is zero. I say this because when you look up CPT code 45378 with modifier 53, the global days are zero. I'm still trying to locate a Medicare reg...maybe someone will get to it before I do.

Anyway...you can see this if you go to this link.

Select the "payment policy indicators" and follow the prompts. When you get to the "modifier" prompt, select your drop down key and select modifier 53 and follow the rest.

Greeley, Colorado

I think there must be a global period since the surgery was attempted. I can't find anything in writing either, but when there is a global period for a procedure I think it would apply whether the procedure was terminated or not. If another procedure was eventually performed in relation to the original terminated procedure you would need a modifier (i.e. 58, 76, 77, 78).
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

North Carolina

I think you're probably correct. I didn't realize that the code I entered (45378) has zero days with or without 53. Silly me.

Thank you for your response. This is my gut feeling, also, since I cannot find any documentation, either.

Thanks again,

Similar Threads

1. Global period for discontinued surgery?
    By jmcnslt in forum Modifiers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM
  2. Help! Procedure done during global period
    By wfriddle in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM
  3. Procedure done during global period
    By wfriddle in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 10:38 AM
  4. New Born Procedure with Global Period