10-13-2017, 02:25 AM | Community Wiki

Acute abdominal pain in pregnancy - ICD 10

1. Default Acute abdominal pain in pregnancy - ICD 10
    Medical Coding Books
    What code can I use if the diagnosis is acute abdominal pain in pregnancy?

2. Default
    O99.89 Other diseases and conditions complicating pregnancy/childbirth
    You would report the code for the site of the abdominal pain (RUQ, LUQ...)
    Then the Z3A.x for the amount of weeks pregnant

carmenb

3. Default
    Thank you so much!

Default incidental
    I have a question regarding same scenario but the doc documents acute ab pain not due to pregnancy. Wouldn't this code to R10.9 unspecified ab pain and 2 dx z33.1 pregnant state incidental ?
    I ask because I had this counted against me.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by nram293 View Post
    I have a question regarding same scenario but the doc documents acute ab pain not due to pregnancy. Wouldn't this code to R10.9 unspecified ab pain and 2 dx z33.1 pregnant state incidental ?
    I ask because I had this counted against me.
    According to the guidelines:

"Should the provider document that the pregnancy is incidental to the encounter, then code Z33.1, Pregnant state, incidental, should be used in place of any Chapter 15 codes. It is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy."

Since the doctor specifically documented the pain was not due to the pregnancy, I would code the pregnancy as incidental.
    Sean Fleming, CCS, CPC
    Past Vice President
    Past Member Development Officer
    Cliffside Park, NJ Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by SeanFleming0373 View Post
    According to the guidelines:

"Should the provider document that the pregnancy is incidental to the encounter, then code Z33.1, Pregnant state, incidental, should be used in place of any Chapter 15 codes. It is the provider's responsibility to state that the condition being treated is not affecting the pregnancy."

Since the doctor specifically documented the pain was not due to the pregnancy, I would code the pregnancy as incidental.

to add to this question . what would be the right diagnoses to assign if patient come in for ab pain but then after workup finale diagnosis by provider is pregnancy. what would be the final diagnosis?