CPT 33961 states "Prolonged extracorporeal circulation for cardiopulmonary insufficiency; each additional 24 hours (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure) " This service as designated by CPT is an Add on code and may never be reported alone.
If you are performing 48 monitroing, you would report 1 unit of CPT 33960 and 1 unit of 33961. The most likely reason you are receiving denials is the editing software the payor is using, could be processing the add on code first and there is no historical claim on file for the primary code.
Have you contacted the insurance companies Appeals unit? That might be the easiest way to get to the bottom of the issue.
I hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join