AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Fascia Iliaca Block

Default Fascia Iliaca Block

AAPC: Back to School
    I need a CPT code for fascia iliaca block for post-op pain (hip ORIF). Has anyone come across this before?

Lincoln, NE

I would need more information before I could code out the service. Can you post the procedure note of the block placement?

Julie, CPC

Denver Colorado

Some providers use the fascia iliaca block as a technique to inject the femoral nerve and lateral cutaneous femoral nerve. I would check with your physician if he was blocking the femoral nerve with this approach, if so then look at 64447 for single or 64448 for continous infusion.

Here is one link that I found with info on the fascia iliaca block: http://www.usra.ca/upload/UIA/200711...ca%20Block.pdf

This is similar to physicians referring to a interscalene or supraclavicular block for a brachial plexus block. They are describing the technique rather than the actual nerve or plexus being injected.

Default fascia iliaca block

You had wrote that some providers use the fascia iliaca block as a technique to inject the femoral nerve and lateral cutaneous femoral nerve. What code would you use if the doctor wasnt blocking the femoral nerve.

thank you

Should NOT use 64447, which is for injection of the femoral nerve, not the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve block would be reported with 64450.

Similar Threads

1. Post Op Pain Block with Regional nerve block
    By lcole7465 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2015, 09:40 AM
  2. TAP catheters and Fascia Iliaca Catheters
    By SSpoors in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM
  3. CPT code for Fascia iliaca block
    By aschaeve in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 0