Quote Originally Posted by rebeccawoodward View Post
I agree Roxanne. It can be difficult to keep up with all the rules and policies of other carriers. Our rule of thumb...when it comes to coding conventions, we follow one rule of thumb and deal with the carrier one on one for a denial of a claim. However, it comes to documentation guidelines, we rely soley on our Medicare carrier. Since most of our other carriers typically follow our Medicare's contractor guidelines, I feel that I have a legitimate leg to stand on in the event of an audit. I find that traditional coding conventions are becoming more difficult to appeal since carriers are implementing their own edits. Of course...I fiercely appeal these.
Rebecca... I agree with your point on following the Medicare contractors documentation guidelines... it gets to be too sticky sometimes, do you notice how if another carrier doesn't like the "medicare" guideline they just do their own thing... It's so much to keep up with anymore... I think we as coders need to all understand the "compliance" side of things as well, which is something I am really starting to get into or should I say have always been into but didn't realize how much I am relying on it nowadays...