10-13-2017, 03:28 AM | Community Wiki

pulmonary hypertension codes

1. Question pulmonary hypertension codes
    Exam Training Packages
    I find myself confused when coding echos with the pulmonary hypertension codes. When do I code secondary vs primary pulmonary hypertension?

2. Default
    If the diagnosis specifies it as "primary," then you would code that, I27.0. (One site I found on this condition states primary pulmonary hypertension is rare.)

If the diagnosis is just "pulmonary hypertension" the Index leads to I27.2, other secondary pulmonary hypertension. Secondary pulmonary HTN is the result of some other disease or underlying condition, and that would be coded as well. (I don't have my coding book with me right now, but you can check for "code also" when looking up this code.) So, when not otherwise specified, code it as secondary.

I hope this answers your question.

3. Cool
    Yes, this helps. I'm on the right track! Thanks so much.

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by sprice View Post
    Yes, this helps. I'm on the right track! Thanks so much.
    Here's another puzzle. What dx is most appropriate for LV dysfunction?

5. Question LV dysfunction
    Quote Originally Posted by tag60 View Post
    If the diagnosis specifies it as "primary," then you would code that, I27.0. (One site I found on this condition states primary pulmonary hypertension is rare.)

If the diagnosis is just "pulmonary hypertension" the Index leads to I27.2, other secondary pulmonary hypertension. Secondary pulmonary HTN is the result of some other disease or underlying condition, and that would be coded as well. (I don't have my coding book with me right now, but you can check for "code also" when looking up this code.) So, when not otherwise specified, code it as secondary.

I hope this answers your question.
    What code is appropriate for LV dysfunction?

for pulmonary htn I27.2 is appropriate .... can we discuss what are condition mostly causing pulmonary htn

That would be up to the provider to document.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H